SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) — San Francisco Mayor Daniel Lurie says President Donald Trump called him and told him he was canceling “any plans for a federal deployment” in the city.
Lurie posted on social media Thursday morning, even though federal agents had already arrived in the Bay Area.
Federal agents were met by protesters as they arrived on Coast Guard Island in Alameda.
Lurie says he also spoke with Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem on Thursday morning and she confirmed what President Trump said.
LIVE UPDATES: Federal agents arrive in Bay Area; SF mayor says federal effort has been called off
This comes a week after President Trump first threatened to send the National Guard to the city, and a few days after US Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem discussed plans to send federal troops to the city.
It’s unclear what federal agents in the Bay Area will do.
Here is Lurie’s full statement:
“Yesterday I spoke to San Franciscans about a possible federal deployment in our city. I said what I have said since I took office: that keeping San Franciscans safe is my top priority.
“Late last night I received a call from the President of the United States. I told him the same thing I told our residents: San Francisco is on the rise. Visitors are coming back, buildings are being rented and purchased, and workers are coming back to the office. We have work to do and we would welcome continued partnerships with the FBI, DEA, ATF and the US Attorney General to get drugs and drug dealers off our streets. but having the military and militarized Immigration Enforcement in our city will hinder our recovery. We appreciate that the President understands that we are the global hub for technology, and when San Francisco is strong, our country is strong.
“In that conversation, the president clearly told me that he is canceling all plans for a federal deployment in San Francisco. Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem confirmed that direction in our conversation this morning.
“My team will continue to monitor the situation closely, and our city remains prepared for any scenario.
“I am deeply grateful to all the San Franciscans who have gathered in recent days. Our city leaders have united behind the goal of public safety. And our values are on full display: This is the best of our city.”
Copyright © 2025 KGO-TV. All rights reserved.
#Mayor #Lurie #President #Trump #canceled #federal #deployment #San #Francisco


