Wong calls for the protection of journalists after the Israeli attack on Al Jazeera employees in Gaza

Wong calls for the protection of journalists after the Israeli attack on Al Jazeera employees in Gaza

3 minutes, 35 seconds Read

Foreign Minister Penny Wong says that she is “deeply concerned” about reports of killing five journalists in an Israeli air raid in Gaza.
Five Jazeera employees, including the well-known Arab correspondent Anas al-Sharif, Mohammed Qreiqeh and three photojournalists, were killed when Israel bombarded a tent of a journalists in Gaza City, near the Al-Shifa hospital.
“Journalists must be protected,” Wong told ABC Radio on Tuesday morning.
“We would say that journalists there should do their work all over the world and be protected in conflict,” she said.

“So we are deeply concerned about these reports, because we are about so many of the reports about death and destruction in Gaza.”

Protests were held in the city of Ramallah in the West Bank after the murders on Anas al-Sharif (left) and Mohammed Qreiqeh (right) in an Israeli air raid on Sunday. Source: AP / Nasser Nasser

Groups and countries of media rights, including the United Kingdom, condemned the attack.

The British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said that the British government was “seriously worried” about the repeated targeting of journalists in Gaza.
“Reporters who cover conflicts are offered protection under international humanitarian law, and journalists must be able to report independently, without fear, and Israel must ensure that journalists can perform their work safely,” his spokesperson told reporters on Monday.

Reporters without borders, a media freedom group, also strongly condemned Al-Sharif.

Graph with journalists killed in the war of Hamas-Gaza from October 2023 to August 2025

According to the international federation of journalists, at least 195 journalists and media employees have been killed in the Hamas-Gaza conflict since October 2023. Source: SBS News

In the meantime, the Human Rights Office of the United Nations said that the actions of the army of Israel represent a “serious infringement of international humanitarian law”.

‘One of the bravest journalists in Gaza’

In a statement, Al Jazeera said that Al-Sharif “was one of Gaza’s bravest journalists” and called the attack a “desperate attempt to silence voices pending the occupation of Gaza”.

In a post on X, Israel’s army said it had hit an Al Jazeera correspondent in Gaza and called him a “terrorist” who “occurred as a journalist”.
“A short time ago, in Gaza City, the IDF struck the terrorist Anas al-Sharif, who presented himself as a journalist for the Al Jazeera network. Anas Al-Sharif served as head of a terrorist cell in the Hamas-terrorist organization and was responsible for promoting Israelitical, said Israelitarian.
Al Jazeera and Al-Sharif have previously rejected these claims, with a special report from the UN on freedom of expression Irene Khan who calls the claim “a flagrant attack on journalists”.
Spokesperson Michaelia Cash of opposition, Michaelia Cash, said that the murders “should be subject to independent control, so the facts are clear”.
“She [Israel] Had I assumed, believing evidence that they would now make one of the killed journalists a Hamas agent, “she told ABC Radio on Tuesday morning.

“The death of every journalist in a conflict zone is serious.”

The committee to protect journalists (CPJ) said in a statement that Israel had not provided evidence to support his allegations against Al-Sharif.
Jodie Ginsberg, CEO of CPJ, said to the BBC: “This is a pattern that we have seen from Israel – not only in the current war, but in the decades prior to – in which a journalist will usually be killed by Israeli troops and then after the fact that they are a terrorist, Israel will say that they are a terrorist, but very little proof.”

Israel has not allowed international journalists in Gaza to freely report on the conflict, which means that news stores rely on local reporters within the enclave for coverage.

CPJ says that at least 186 journalists have been killed since the escalation of the Hamas-Israeli conflict in October 2023-the deadly period for journalists since it started recording such data in 1992.

PM says ‘too many innocent lives lost’

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told ABC News that he could not comment on the specific incident, but that “too many innocent lives have been lost in Gaza”.

Graphic with humanitarian workers killed in the war of Hamas-Israel

517 humanitarian workers were killed in Gaza and 7 humanitarian workers killed in Israel since October 2023. Source: SBS News

“There have been too many journalists, people who are also care providers and offer help, Including of course an Australian citizenLost in recent years.

“We see too many innocent lives being lost across the board.”

#Wong #calls #protection #journalists #Israeli #attack #Jazeera #employees #Gaza

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *