The Irish and the Dagestani camp have been linked since the war chaotic post-fight brawl at UFC 229where Makhachev stood right next to Nurmagomedov as the fight broke out at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Ahead of his huge showdown at Madison Square Garden, the former lightweight champion didn’t hold back. He took a sharp shot at McGregor and made a bold claim about the Irish star’s fighting future, keeping the rivalry alive.
Islam Makhachev claims McGregor’s UFC return is off the table for good
For those unaware, Conor McGregor has been out of action since July 2021, when he broke his leg in his trilogy fight against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264. Although he was officially booked to face Michael Chandler at UFC 303 last year, the fight fell apart after the Irishman withdrew due to a toe injury.
Recently, rumors of McGregor possibly returning at the UFC’s planned White House event in June 2026 have reignited hope among fans. But Islam Makhachev does not believe in that. When asked about McGregor’s latest claims of an MMA comeback and his interest in the White House card, the Dagestani star made it clear he doesn’t believe the Irishman will ever fight again.
Moreover, he cited Khabib Nurmagomedov as the main reason. In an interview with ComplexMakhachev stated: “No, this man is never coming back. Khabib has broken his mind, you know.”
He doubled down and added: “This guy’s not coming back. He’s never going to fight again. I told you this two years ago, and I still don’t think he’s going to fight.”
Islam on Conor’s return ahead of White House card 🗣️🔥
“No, this man is never coming back. Khabib has broken his mind. This man is never coming back. He’s not going to fight anymore. I told this 2 years ago, but I still think he’s not going to fight. And now he’s disqualified… pic.twitter.com/AuMmcVMpY5
— Red Corner MMA (@RedCorner_MMA) November 15, 2025
Makhachev also pointed out McGregor’s current situation with the UFC’s Combat Sports Anti-Doping (CSAD) program. For those unfamiliar, McGregor was given a retroactive 18-month ban for failing to disclose his whereabouts, with the ban ending on March 20, 2026.
He continued, “And now he’s being disqualified by the Anti-Doping Commission, I heard, and that’s why I don’t think so. Maybe Jon Jones will come back to fight in the White House, but Conor won’t.”
While Islam Makhachev dismissed the idea that McGregor would ever return, he was more optimistic about Jon Jones, who retired last year after vacating the heavyweight title. Given the historical significance of the upcoming White House card and the huge payday associated with it, Jones was eager to return.
READ ALSO: Jon Jones Calls Tom Aspinall Incredibly Overrated While Breaking Down UFC 321 Main Event
He has repeatedly urged Dana White to give him a spot at the June 2026 event. However, the UFC CEO is adamant not to rely on Jones for the card. Instead, he has expressed more confidence in McGregor as he believes the Irishman is someone who can still deliver on a big stage.
In recent months, the former two-time champion has also changed his public demeanor, appearing down-to-earth, staying out of controversy and focusing on training while largely staying off social media. With all these moving pieces, it will be interesting to see how McGregor’s future unfolds.
#Islam #Makhachev #Grim #Prediction #Conor #McGregors #UFC #Future #MMASucka


