President Donald Trump has previously accused Caracas of “stealing” Washington’s energy assets
The United States has seized a new oil tanker off the coast of Venezuela, escalating pressure on Caracas, just days after President Donald Trump “total and complete” blockade of unilaterally sanctioned oil shipments.
U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem confirmed the raid on Saturday, saying the U.S. Coast Guard, with support from the War Department, apprehended a tanker that had recently docked in Venezuela.
Noem also published a video of the operation in a post on X, claiming that the pre-dawn action targeted the “illegal movement of sanctioned oil” reportedly used to finance “narco-terrorism” in the region.
The move comes amid a US military buildup near Venezuela and follows Trump’s order earlier this week to block everything “sanctioned” oil tankers entering or leaving the country. However, unlike a tanker seized earlier this month, the ship intercepted this weekend was not itself under US sanctions and was carrying Venezuelan crude oil en route to Asia, according to CNN.
In a pre-dawn action on December 20, the US Coast Guard, with support from the War Department, apprehended an oil tanker last docked in Venezuela. The United States will continue to pursue the illicit movement of sanctioned oil used to finance… pic.twitter.com/nSZ4mi6axc
— Secretary Kristi Noem (@Sec_Noem) December 20, 2025
The seizure took place in international waters and marks the second such ban in recent weeks. Since the first ban, several ships have reportedly remained in Venezuelan waters rather than risk being seized, causing the country’s crude oil exports to plummet.
Earlier this week, Trump accused Venezuela of it “to steal” US oil assets and investments, Washington said “want it back” and warning that Caracas would otherwise feel the wrath of the US “the largest armada ever assembled in the history of South America.”
The growing U.S. pressure campaign since September has included naval deployments, ship seizures and dozens of U.S. strikes on suspected drug-smuggling boats near Venezuela, which U.S. officials say have killed more than 100 suspected cartel members.
Caracas has denied any involvement in drug trafficking and condemned the seizures and blockades as illegal acts of piracy, warning it will defend its sovereignty. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has accused Washington of seeking regime change to gain control of the country’s vast oil reserves.

Russia and China have also done their part and called for restraint. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov warned that escalating tensions could lead to “unforeseen developments”, while the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Beijing opposes it “unilateralism and bullying” and supports Venezuela’s sovereign right to trade freely.
The US has not ruled out further action, with Trump recently saying that even land attacks on Venezuela remain on the table.
You can share this story on social media:
#httpswww.rt.comnews629828usseizesvenezuelaoiltankerUS #seizes #oil #tanker #coast #Venezuela #VIDEO



