Gavin Newsom calls the use of the National Guard in Los Angeles ‘illegal’, says there was no problem until Trump became involved: ‘Serious violation of state sovereignty’

Gavin Newsom calls the use of the National Guard in Los Angeles ‘illegal’, says there was no problem until Trump became involved: ‘Serious violation of state sovereignty’

2 minutes, 24 seconds Read

On Sunday, Californian Governor Gavin Newsom President shouted Donald Trump To engage the use of the National Guard troops in Los Angeles, with the argument that it is a violation of the sovereignty of the state and the tensions only worse in the midst of continuous protests.

What happened: Newsom’s request came after law enforcement officers used tear gas and rubber bullets against demonstrators in response to the government’s decision to send federal troops to the city, reported The corresponding press.

The commitment, including around 300 members of the National Guard, was part of Trump’s broader efforts to combat immigration protests.

In a statement about Xearlier TwitterNewsom said: “I formally asked the Trump government to withdraw their illegal deployment of troops in Los Angeles County and to return it to my order.”

“We had no problem until Trump became involved. This is a serious violation of the sovereignty of the state – use tensions while they draw resources from which they are actually needed,” he continued, adding, “withdraw the order. Return control to California.”

See also: Scott Bessent defends Trump’s economic agenda as ‘engine designed to stimulate economic growth’, despite GDP sample and decreasing approval

Trump previously recovered Truth Social And stated: “A once Great American City, Los Angeles, has invaded and occupied by illegal alien beings and criminals,” adding to it “, will be restored, the illegal immigrants will be deported and Los Angeles will be set.”

Source: Truth Social

Why it is important: The National Guard was deployed after two days of protests that started on Friday in the center of Los Angeles and expanded to Paramount on Saturday – a predominantly Latino community south of the city – and the nearby Compton, noted the report, AccoridNG to the Press.

On Saturday, federal agents set up a staging point near a home depot in Paramount. Protesters tried to hinder border patrouille vehicles, with some stones and pieces of concrete.

In response, agents in rioting equipment used tear gas, flash-engines and pepperballs to spread the crowd.

Trump has defended the commitment and stated that it was necessary because of what he described as democratic leaders such as Governor Newsom who did not control demonstrations that are aimed at immigration authorities, according to the report.

This marked what the first instance seemed to be in decades in which the National Guard was activated in a state without the approval of the governor.

The last such federal activation of the National Guard without the permission of a Governor took place in 1965, then President Lyndon B. Johnson Sent troops to protect civil rights marchers in Alabama, noted the report, referring to Brennan Center for Justice.

Photo Coreignity: Sheila Fitzgerald on Shuttertsock.com

Read next:

Indemnification: This content was partially produced with the help of AI tools and was assessed and published by Benzinga Editors.

#Gavin #Newsom #calls #National #Guard #Los #Angeles #illegal #problem #Trump #involved #violation #state #sovereignty

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *