Exclusive | Buck Showalter supports Orioles for Pete Alonso: ‘It’s a really good fit’

Exclusive | Buck Showalter supports Orioles for Pete Alonso: ‘It’s a really good fit’

While Mets fans may still be in shock over Pete Alonso’s departure from the Mets to the Orioles last week in a five-year, $155 free-agent deal, Buck Showalter — who knows both Alonso and Baltimore well — is confident the first baseman will do well in his new home.

“That suits Pete well, very well,” Showalter said by phone. “Pete will get Baltimore and the fans in Baltimore will get Pete. If I were to pick any place other than Queens for him, Baltimore would be high on the list.

Showalter managed Alonso with the Mets in 2022 and ’23 and spent nine years in Baltimore from 2010 to 2018. He is convinced that the different atmosphere will suit Alonso.

“They’re not mean,” Showalter said of Baltimore’s fans. “They just want the Orioles to do well and get behind a good team. They’re really hungry.”


Former Mets manager Buck Showalter in the dugout just before the game on September 28, 2023. Charles Wenzelberg / New York Post

Alonso seemed comfortable in his new surroundings during his introductory press conference in Baltimore last week, calling it “a perfect match.”

“Pete is such a genuine man,” Showalter said. “He never has a bad day and he’s the same guy every day. And he posts his messages. If you ever trusted someone with a contract like that, he would be one of the frontrunners.”

And Showalter said he would give Alonso – who he spoke to after the slugger agreed to his new deal – this advice as he begins the next chapter in his career: “I’m happy for him. As long as he doesn’t try to do too much and is everything to everyone, he’ll be fine. He’s such a joy. I would tell him to play first base and be Pete.”


Newly appointed Baltimore Orioles first baseman Pete Alonso, 25, shakes hands with Orioles president of baseball operations Mike Elias as Orioles owner David Rubenstein, left, and sports agent Scott Boras, right, look on during a baseball press conference, Friday, Dec. 12, 2025.
Newly appointed Baltimore Orioles first baseman Pete Alonso, 25, shakes hands with Orioles president of baseball operations Mike Elias as Orioles owner David Rubenstein, left, and sports agent Scott Boras, right, look on during a baseball press conference, Friday, Dec. 12, 2025. AP

The Mets, who brought Alonso back last season on a two-year deal worth $54 million that included an opt-out after last season, did not offer the 31-year-old a new contract this time around when they heard the size of the deals he had already seen.

Instead, after losing Alonso and closer Edwin Diaz to the Dodgers in free agency, the Mets signed Jorge Polanco to a two-year, $40 million deal, with the 32-year-old expected to play first base, as well as DH and other spots in the field.

They also traded Brandon Nimmo to Texas in exchange for Marcus Semien and brought in Devin Williams, who is expected to close games, although they have submitted trade inquiries to San Diego for Mason Miller, according to Jon Heyman of The Post.

#Exclusive #Buck #Showalter #supports #Orioles #Pete #Alonso #good #fit

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *