YouTube TV and Disney reach agreement to restore access to ESPN networks after two-week standoff

YouTube TV and Disney reach agreement to restore access to ESPN networks after two-week standoff

YouTube TV and Disney have reached a deal that will bring ESPN, ABC and other channels back to the platform’s 10 million subscribers after a nearly two-week hiatus, the companies announced Friday evening.

The deal gives YouTube TV subscribers access to ESPN’s new direct-to-consumer ‘Unlimited’ service at no additional cost, as part of YouTube TV’s basic subscription. That’s most notable for WWE fans, as WWE’s major events – including Wrestlemania – are now part of ESPN’s Unlimited offering. The Unlimited service will also be accessible directly on the YouTube TV platform.

YouTube TV subscribers pay just over $80 per month for the basic subscription. The rollout will be completed by the end of 2026.

All Disney channels will remain available on YouTube TV’s service, led by ABC and all ESPN networks.

In a statement, YouTube TV said: “We are pleased to share that we have reached an agreement with Disney that preserves the value of our service to our subscribers and the future flexibility of our offerings. Subscribers should see channels like ABC, ESPN and FX return to their service during the day, as well as any recordings previously in their libraries. We apologize for the disruption and appreciate our subscribers’ patience as we negotiate on their behalf.”

Alan Bergman, Co-Chairman of Disney Entertainment and Dana Walden, and ESPN Chairman Jimmy Pitaro said, “This new agreement reflects our continued commitment to delivering exceptional entertainment and evolving with the way audiences want to watch. It recognizes the tremendous value of Disney’s programming and provides YouTube TV subscribers with more flexibility and choice. We are pleased that our networks have been restored in time for fans to enjoy the many great programming options this weekend, including college football.”

Since October 30, which included two weekends and Monday nights, YouTube TV subscribers have not taken advantage of ESPN’s extensive college football offerings and “Monday Night Football,” which this week featured a great game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Green Bay Packers.

Disney’s quarterly earnings call with Wall Street analysts Thursday morning served as a pseudo – but not absolute – deadline to force some movement in the negotiations. The Athletics reported Wednesday that there was potentially renewed momentum, though the two sides were still negotiating how to handle Disney’s lesser-watched networks, such as Freeform and National Geographic. As part of the agreement, all Disney channels will remain part of YouTube TV’s service.

Major progress was made Wednesday evening, putting the deal in the red zone, but it was not completed in time for Disney CEO Bob Iger to make an announcement during his call with analysts.

YouTube TV is emerging as a cable-like platform with the third most subscribers. Its 10 million subscribers are just below Spectrum and Comcast, which are close to 12 million, and the industry expects YouTube TV to have the potential to eclipse the cable giants in the rest of the decade. YouTube TV started in 2018 with a $35 per month offering and has built its subscriber base largely around watching live sports, making ESPN and its networks an essential partner.

In a sign that negotiations were getting even more serious, sources briefed on the talks said Google CEO Sundar Pichai and Disney CEO Bob Iger had become more involved in recent days. Disney’s negotiating team is led by Entertainment co-chairmen Dana Walden and Alan Bergman, along with ESPN Chairman Jimmy Pitaro.

Justin Connolly, YouTube TV’s global head of media and sports, was forced to withdraw from the negotiations. Connolly switched sides earlier this year and left Disney for YouTube TV, resulting in lawsuits. Connolly, who earned $6 million a year, was finally allowed to break his Disney deal to join YouTube TV, but he was forced to postpone talks. Connolly’s team conducted talks and was said to be locked in with Walden, Bergman and Pitaro’s group on Wednesday evening as the two sides came to an agreement.

Last Sunday, YouTube TV sent emails to customers, informing them that they could click a button on their account page to redeem a $20 credit because they were without ESPN and the Disney channels for more than a week.

On Monday, FCC Chairman Brendan Carr wrote on his X account: “Google and Disney must make a deal and end this blackout. People must have the right to watch the programming they paid for, including football. Get it done!”

Now both parties have done so.

#YouTube #Disney #reach #agreement #restore #access #ESPN #networks #twoweek #standoff

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *