Cristobal VasquezAnd
Tom Bateman,Correspondent of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Getty ImagesAs the dust settles in Caracas, Venezuelans are reacting with hope, fear and uncertainty to the news of President Nicolás Maduro’s capture by the US.
People began taking to the streets on Saturday after a night rocked by explosions in the Caracas Valley, with moods ranging from celebration to condemnation.
Dina, a local resident, told the BBC that for now she is grateful to the US for “lashing out at Maduro” because she can now “at least see some light at the end of the tunnel.”
But the political climate remains tense, one of the reasons why she did not give the BBC her real name.
Jorge, another Venezuelan living near Caracas, told the BBC that while he is grateful to be “well supported by Trump and the entire United States,” he fears the coming days will not be easy.
“What’s going to happen now that they’re taking this man?” Jorge told the BBC. “It doesn’t guarantee us anything. So there is some uncertainty. We don’t know what the next few days will bring.”
Supporters of Maduro’s government have also gathered in the streets of Caracas, demanding that the US release its leader. Caracas Mayor Carmen Meléndez, a staunch government loyalist, joined the rally to protest what she called Maduro’s “kidnapping.”
Early Saturday, US forces under President Donald Trump carried out a series of targeted attacks in Venezuela’s capital, eventually putting the country’s leader into US custody.
The US accuses Maduro of leading a ‘narcoterrorist’ regime. He is widely seen by both opponents at home and by foreign governments as having illegitimately won the 2024 Venezuelan elections.
Maduro – who leads the United Socialist Party and has been in power since 2013 – is often accused of suppressing opposition groups and silencing dissent in Venezuela, sometimes using violence.
With Maduro and his wife facing extradition to New York City to face drug trafficking and weapons charges, Venezuela’s future remains unclear. Trump has said the US will run the country – and manage its oil reserves – until a permanent replacement for Maduro can be found.
Maduro has previously rejected US claims that he has direct involvement in the drug trade.
But even for those who are grateful that Maduro is gone, there is still a lot of fear and uncertainty, several Venezuelans told the BBC.
Dina doesn’t have much faith in Trump.
“He says something now and tomorrow he changes his mind,” Dina said of Trump. “I mean, I’m not used to taking his words seriously.”
The “only thing that was good” about what Trump has said since Maduro’s capture, Dina said, is that the US will invest in Venezuela, which she hopes will lead to “a better economic situation” for the struggling country.
The danger of speaking out against Maduro is still very real in Venezuela, as the National Assembly – which is dominated by Maduro loyalists – passed a law a few weeks ago that labels anyone who expresses support for the US naval blockades a “traitor.”
Jorge said he saw motorcyclists from colectivos, pro-government paramilitary groups in Venezuela, roaming the streets yesterday with weapons.
“It makes you a little scared to even go out and buy bread right now,” he said. “We will have to wait for the best and be patient.”
Jorge added that he is concerned about the influence of Maduro’s ally, Diosdado Cabello, the Venezuelan Minister of the Interior, Justice and Peace.
“He is a very bad person, very hateful,” Jorge said of Cabello. “I don’t know how many people he has on his side. Hopefully the army is behind the people and he loses some control.”
Sandra echoed Jorge and Dina’s relief at Maduro’s ouster. But she is also skeptical about the future and what it means for Venezuelans in exile.
Nearly eight million Venezuelans have left Venezuela since Maduro came to power – and many of them have openly celebrated Maduro’s capture on the streets of the cities where they have settled.
In addition to the millions in exile, others are “missing, imprisoned, dead or just surviving,” which is “a true tragedy that has not been addressed by any country,” Sandra said.
“This is just the beginning; we know there is still a long way to go,” Sandra added. “No country had previously heard the cry of Venezuelans in the face of this tragedy.”
Tom Bateman and Kristina Volk contributed to this report.
#Venezuelans #react #hope #uncertainty #Maduros #arrest


