TLDR
- President Trump said the US will sell “large amounts” of Venezuelan oil after capturing President Nicolas Maduro.
- The US carried out a large-scale military attack in Venezuela on January 3, 2026, capturing Maduro and his wife.
- Attorney General Pam Bondi announced charges of narcoterrorism and conspiracy to import cocaine against Maduro and Cilia Flores.
- Venezuela declared full military mobilization, calling the operation a “military aggression” and an illegal kidnapping.
- UN and Latin American leaders condemned the US strike, citing violations of international law and the principles of the UN Charter.
President Donald Trump has announced that the United States will take control of Venezuela’s oil reserves following the recent imprisonment of President Nicolas Maduro. Trump said after a massive military operation in Caracas that the US plans to sell “large quantities” of Venezuelan oil to international buyers.
Trump says US will sell Venezuelan oil after Maduro’s capture
President Donald Trump said the United States will control Venezuela’s oil reserves after the capture of Nicolas Maduro. Trump stated that the administration plans to sell large amounts of oil internationally. The comments followed recent US military actions in Venezuela. Trump said during his last public speech: “We are in the oil business.” He said the US will sell oil to countries looking for additional supply. Trump linked the plan to Venezuela’s damaged energy infrastructure.
JUST IN: 🇺🇸🇻🇪 President Trump says the US will use Venezuela’s oil reserves and sell “large quantities” to other countries after capturing Nicolás Maduro.
“We are in the oil sector.” pic.twitter.com/U9NDR2eYKy
— Watcher.Guru (@WatcherGuru) January 3, 2026
He said Venezuela cannot produce enough oil because its infrastructure remains weak. He added that US-managed production would increase export volumes. Trump said existing buyers already rely on Venezuelan crude. Trump said more countries would buy oil as supply increases. He said the US will not restrict oil sales under the plan. The statement marked Trump’s final comments following Maduro’s capture.
How did the US military capture the president of Venezuela in a surprise attack?
A report on The announcement followed explosions in Caracas and surrounding areas on January 3, 2026. President Trump said Maduro and his wife had been “captured and flown out of the country.”
🚨 LIVE at 11:00 AM EST: Remarks from President Donald J. Trump. https://t.co/anKNO8UrpX
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) January 3, 2026
Explosions were reported Saturday morning near Fort Tiuna, Venezuela’s largest military complex. CBS and Fox News cited unnamed U.S. officials who confirmed the military’s involvement in the operation. President Trump later said in a television interview: “The operation could not have been better.”
Attorney General Pam Bondi confirmed that Maduro and Cilia Flores have been charged in the Southern District of New York. The charges include narco-terrorism and conspiracy to import cocaine, and both are described as “alleged international narco-traffickers.” Bondi stated that they would be tried “on American soil in American courts.”
Venezuelan Defense Minister Padrino Lopez declared full military mobilization in response to what he called “military aggression.” He said the armed forces remain united and will not give up national sovereignty. The Venezuelan government demanded proof of life and described the strike as an illegal kidnapping.
Global response and legal criticism are increasing
Legal experts and human rights groups condemned the US operation as a violation of international law. UN Special Rapporteur Ben Saul called it “illegal aggression” and called for Trump to be investigated. Saul stated: “Every Venezuelan life lost is a violation of the right to life.”
I condemn the US’s illegal aggression against Venezuela and the illegal kidnapping of its leader and his wife. Every Venezuelan life lost is a violation of the right to life. President Trump should be impeached and investigated for the alleged murders https://t.co/3OjWtOQ1hE
— Prof. Ben Saul – UNSR Human Rights and Counter-Terrorism (@profbensaul) January 3, 2026
International leaders expressed concern, with Brazil and Mexico calling the strikes a violation of UN principles. The Mexican president referred to Article 2 of the UN Charter in her criticism. The Brazilian president described the action as crossing “an unacceptable line.”
Analyst Phil Gunson compared Maduro’s arrest to the US seizure of Manuel Noriega in 1990. Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodriguez demanded accountability and transparency from Washington. Meanwhile, Caracas declared a national emergency and accused the US of trying to seize its oil supplies.
#Trump #sell #Venezuelan #oil #Maduros #capture


