Activists blocked a further two coal ships from entering Newcastle Harbor on the fourth day of the Rising Tide protests, bringing the total number of ships activists turned around this weekend to three.
Thousands of people have gathered at Rising Tide’s annual climate protest in the world’s largest coal port. The blockade started on Thursday and will last until Tuesday.
Hundreds have kayaked into the harbour, with many more watching from the beach.
Three activists attached themselves to the anchor chain and sides of a ship on Sunday as part of an action by Greenpeace Australia Pacific, the environmental group said.
Australian musicians Oli and Louis Leimbach, who had previously performed at the protest as part of the band Lime Cordiale, were accompanied by Dr. Elen O’Donnell, a doctor and Greenpeace activist, who boarded the ship, Greenpeace said.
The activists unfurled a banner reading “Phase out coal and gas” and painted the words “Timeline now!” on the ship.
“We are taking action today, along with thousands of people who have joined the Rising Tide blockade, to show Australia’s leaders that if the government doesn’t act, the people will,” O’Donnell said.
Sign up: AU Breaking News Email
“Australia is the world’s third largest exporter of fossil fuels, and its outsized role in the climate crisis demands serious action. Every load of coal that leaves this port contributes to more devastating bushfires, floods and cyclones.”
Rising Tide said it stopped a second ship from entering the port on Sunday.
The New South Wales Port Authority confirmed three ships had been blocked.
“Maintaining the safe operation of the port and ensuring the safety of maritime workers and the general public remains the highest priority,” a spokesperson said on Sunday.
All vessel movements were carried out in consultation with NSW Police.
after newsletter promotion
On Saturday, activists had also prevented a ship from entering the port. Eleven protesters were arrested and charged by police after breaching an exclusion zone established by the New South Wales government. The zone, which was approved by Transport Secretary John Graham, covers most of the port until Monday morning.
Protesters who violate the zone, which is marked by buoys, will face enforcement action.
Rising Tide said another 22 people were arrested and charged for violating the exclusion zone on Sunday morning. Two teenagers were arrested but not charged.
Rising Tide said some people have been charged for entering the marine exclusion zone. This violation, if proven, carries a maximum fine of $1,100. The protest group said others had been charged under anti-protest laws, which carry a maximum penalty of two years in prison.
Joe Rafalowicz, head of climate and energy at Greenpeace Australia Pacific, criticized the Albanian government for continuing to approve new gas and coal projects.
“At Cop30 in Brazil, the Australian government joined the historic Belém Declaration – the strongest declaration to date, recognizing our international commitment to limit warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius, meaning no need for new fossil fuels,” he said.
“But just days later, the Albanian government doubled down on coal and gas – completely inconsistent with Australia’s obligation and responsibility to tackle emissions as one of the world’s largest coal and gas exporters. It’s a joke.”
Rising Tide called on the federal government to: cancel all new fossil fuel projects; tax profits from fossil fuels at 78% to finance the transition away from those fuels and pay for climate damage; and end coal exports from Newcastle by 2030.
It is believed that seven ships were moved through Newcastle Port on Saturday despite the protest.
#Rising #Tide #protest #Climate #activists #stop #ships #entering #worlds #largest #coal #port #Newcastle


