Last week there is a “renewed” dialogue between the Golden State Warriors and limited free agent Jonathan Kuminga, since the two parties stay with a paton, ESPNs Anthony Slater reported on Friday during an appearance NBA today.
Jonathan Kuminga wants to be a building block, not a trading ship
Slater reported on Friday that Kuminga and his representatives are looking for a multi -year contract from the Warriors that the former first Rounder positions to be more a “building block” than just a trading ship.
“Well, there are renewed conversations between the two parties. There is a dialogue, but as you all know, do not necessarily talk to movement,” said Slater.
“Last week they shared contract concepts and opinions about the whole thing between each other, dating from last weekend. Kuminga wants more a player -friendly deal, more a signal that he is a building block, no trading.”
The Warriors do not change their two-year contract offer of $ 45 million in Kuminga, and the 22-year-old has indicated that the qualifying offer of $ 7.9 million is more attractive for him.
$ 7.9 million qualifying offer including clause with no-trade
That two -year -old deal includes a team option in year 2, but Kuminga prefers a player option. He doesn’t want to be traded halfway through the season. This is problematic for Golden State because the qualifying offer includes a no-trade clause.
“The word I heard that I used on the Kuminga side is” pawn, “said Slater. “He does not want to sign this two -year -old deal with a team option of $ 45 million in which he is clearly used only to be traded in the middle season. That is not something he wants to register for.
“If you are talking about a three -year -old deal, if you are talking about something with a player option that shows him a little more, that’s something he would be interested in.
“But from now on the Warriors are hesitant to do that, and that is why Kuminga points to the people around him that he is very willing – and prefers – – [to sign] The qualifying offer about the two -year -old deal of $ 45 million. That is dangerous for the Warriors. They can try to call his bluff, but at the moment it seems to be trending towards the qualifying offer. “
Kuminga Dilemma has spoiled the outdoor season of Warriors
Free agents Al Horford and De’anthony Melton are waiting for a resolution at the Kuminga contract situation before they can complete their own deals with Golden State.
But the Kuminga -Saga may not end quickly. Since limited free agents to the deadline of October 1 to accept a qualifying offer, Slater would not be surprised if the impasse extended in September.
“August is a lot easier for people to be used as:” Okay, we’ll reach you when we reach you, “said Slater.” September is where it is getting a little more uncomfortable. I don’t know if there will be a movement or a little more fear on the Warriors or Kuminga side, but September is where this can become a little dicier. “
Slater noted that it would be shocking if Kuminga decided to pass on the $ 14 million salary before 2025-26 and sign his qualifying offer of $ 7.9 million instead of accepting a two-year $ 45 million deal.
Qualification Bid gives Jonathan Kuminga control over his future
The qualifying offer would give Kuminga more freedom because it comes with a no-trade clause for this coming season and the possibility to hit unlimited free agency in 2026.
“You talk to people around him and he is quite buried,” Slater added. “If two for $ 45 million with the team option become the best offer, he will see them in a training camp on an expiring qualifying offer, which includes a no-trade clause.
“Because he either wants to be seen as a building block or he wants his freedom, his control over his future. And the qualifying offer, although less money, gives him control over his future.”
Kuminga, the no. 7 total choice in the design of 2021, on average 15.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 24.3 minutes per match in 47 games (10 Starts) last season.
#Jonathan #Kuminga #preferences #million #years #million #deal


