Jared Kushneran important negotiator in the Peace agreement between Israel and Hamassaid in an exclusive ’60 Minutes’ interview that he expects the terrorist organization to use violent tactics in an attempt to reassert its power in Gaza.
“Hamas is doing exactly what you would expect a terrorist organization to do right now, which is trying to reconstruct and take back their positions,” Kushner told 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl.
The interview took place just days before the US warned that Hamas may be planning an attack on Palestinian civilians. Israeli forces and Hamas also clashed this weekend, with an Israeli military official speaking out against the country targets hit in southern Gaza after Hamas fired on Israeli soldiers – a test for the ceasefire.
Kushner, who is President Trump’s son-in-law and helped secure the president’s peace deal, said the success or failure of the 20 point peace plan will depend on whether Israel and the international partners involved can create ‘a viable alternative’.
“If they are successful, Hamas will fail and Gaza will no longer pose a threat to Israel in the future,” Kushner said.
The US peace deal, which was still in its first phase, secured the release of Hamas 20 live hostagesand so far you return the bodies of at least ten confirmed deceased hostages.
It eventually asks for an interim governing body to govern Gaza, made up of “qualified Palestinians and international experts,” and overseen by a “Council of Peace” chaired by Mr. Trump, but that has yet to be established.
The expected reconstruction and post-war governance in Gaza could be derailed by violence in the decimated strip. Video obtained by CBS News this week showed Hamas fighters executing Palestinians they accused of being gang members collaborating with Israel.
Hamas has been working to use its weapons to reestablish itself as the entity that rules Gaza. The US said in a statement on Saturday that attacks on Palestinian civilians would constitute a direct and serious violation of the ceasefire.
An extended version of Stahl’s interview with Kushner and Steve Witkoff will be available Sunday evening 60 MINUTES Overtime And youtube.com/60minutes.
#Jared #Kushner #Create

