Newly appointed England National Cricket Team Test vice-captain Harry Brook has shared his thoughts on Australia National Cricket Team skipper Pat Cummins reportedly missing the first Test of the 2025-2026 Ashes.
Harry Brook said Pat Cummins has been a great bowler for a long time and hoped his absence would play into the hands of the England team Down Under.
Harry Brook wants to take home the Ashes urn
Ben Stokes-led England will be in Australia for the big Ashes series in November, December and January. The first test will take place at Optus Stadium in Perth from November 21 to 25, followed by the second test at The Gabba in Brisbane from December 4 to 8.
Your daily dose of cricket!
The third Test will then take place at the Adelaide Oval between December 17 and 21, and the fourth Test will be hosted by the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) from December 26 to 30. The series finale will take place at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) from January 4 to 8, 2026.
England were quite poor in Australia but would hope for a better performance this time. Their chances of doing well have been boosted by reports that Pat Cummins was struggling with injury and may miss the series opener.
Speaking about this, Brook said Pat Cummins’ absence is good news for England but other Australian bowlers should not be taken lightly.
“He is a great bowler and has been for many years,” Brook said at the PCA awards ceremony on Thursday evening in association with Toyota, as quoted by ESPNCricinfo. “He bowls at a high pace, with high skill. With him out of their side for the first game, from what we’ve seen, hopefully that plays into our hands… [But] we cannot take anyone lightly.”
“I don’t know what I’m getting into. I know it’s a huge thing, but I’m still trying to get over that India series. That was amazing to be a part of, playing 25 out of 25 days was mega. That was the most intense series I’ve ever been a part of. If the Ashes tops that, I’ll be a very happy man.”
I don’t have much experience with the fields outside – Harry Brook
Harry Brook has never played a Test match on Aussie soil and the upcoming tour is likely to present a major challenge. In total, he played only BBL in Australia when he was 22 years old, scoring 56 runs in five innings.
Meanwhile, Brook further admitted that he doesn’t have much knowledge about Australian conditions and added that he goes Down Under with a clear mind. Harry Brook stated:
“It’s obviously intense. I don’t even remember much about the 2023 Ashes, if I’m honest. It’s a very similar group of players we’re going to be dealing with – a very strong bowling attack and on home soil they’ll present different challenges. I don’t have that much experience of the pitches out there yet, so I just have to stay in the moment as much as possible and play what’s in front of me.”
“I see white ball and red ball as completely different sports, if I’m honest. I go there with a clear mind.”
I want to be a competition winner – Harry Brook
Harry Brook, who recently won Player of the Series for England in the Anderson-Tendulkar Trophy, said he wants to become a real match winner. He said:
“That’s not something I really think about. I want to be a match winner. If the team is in a bit of trouble I want to get us out of it, which I’ve done pretty well so far in my career. If that’s 75 and gets us out of trouble for a while and puts the team in a better position, then I’d rather that than get a hundred and lose the match.”
The young batsman also stated that he was honored to become the Test vice-captain and hoped that Ben Stokes would play all five Ashes Tests. He said:
“I can see Stokesy playing all five Tests, if I’m honest. I think he’ll come through even if he has a little niggle.”
Also Read: CSK issues official statement after player release list leaked ahead of IPL auction
#Harry #Brook #warns #Australia #Pat #Cummins #absence #Ashes #haunted #India #Test #draw


