Exclusive | White House confirms Dodgers will attend World Series ceremony

Exclusive | White House confirms Dodgers will attend World Series ceremony

2 minutes, 33 seconds Read

The Los Angeles Dodgers will attend a White House ceremony in their honor this year, the Trump administration confirmed Wednesday, amid calls for the team to scrap the traditional visit.

A White House official exclusively told The Post that the team has been in contact with the administration and plans to attend, but a date has yet to be set.

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw celebrates with the Commissioner’s Trophy after winning the 2025 MLB World Series. SUGGEST IMAGES via Reuters Connect
President Donald Trump and Los Angeles Dodgers owner and chairman Mark Walter pose with a jersey presented to Trump as he hosts the 2024 World Series champions in the East Room of the White House Getty Images

The Dodgers declined to comment.

When asked about the visit this weekend, team president Stan Kasten said: “I have no news for you on that,” according to the Los Angeles Times.

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts told the Times: “I’m going to the White House… I’m going to continue to try to do what tradition says and not try to make political statements because I’m not a politician.”

While a date for this year’s visit has yet to be confirmed, the team’s only trip to Washington will come during their first road series of the season when they play three games against the Nationals on the weekend of April 3-5.

The team has gone to the White House after each of their two recent World Series championships, visiting President Biden in 2021 and President Trump last April.

Los Angeles Dodgers Yoshinobu Yamamoto hoists the MVP trophy after a win over the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre. Game 7. Sports illustrated via Getty Images

While last year’s visit was polarizing among some factions of the fanbase, there was a full team turnout, with owner Mark Walter and now-retired pitcher Clayton Kershaw addressing the crowd at the East Room reception.

“It is an incredible honor to visit the White House, regardless of who is in office,” Kershaw said after last year’s visit. “We went in 2021. We went this time. I know there’s been a lot of things, should the Dodgers go? All these things. But at the end of the day, going to the White House, visiting the Oval Office, meeting the President of the United States, those are things that you can’t lose sight of, no matter what you believe. I was super honored to go today. It was an incredible opportunity. I’m glad we got to be a part of it.”

Mookie Betts was the only player last year to openly express his initial uncertainty about his departure. He skipped a trip to the White House with his former team, the Boston Red Sox, after their 2018 title during Trump’s first term, ultimately deciding to join the Dodgers in 2025.

“No matter what I say or do, people will view it as political,” Betts said at the time. “But that’s absolutely not what it is. This is about what the Dodgers were able to accomplish last year.”

#Exclusive #White #House #confirms #Dodgers #attend #World #Series #ceremony

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *