3
Acclaimed journalist Fabrizio Romano has provided an update on Manchester United’s search for midfield reinforcements in 2026.
The Red Devils have been quite active in the transfer market this summer, adding more firepower to their attack. Their plans have already paid off: only Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City have scored more goals than Amorim’s team this season.
The next step for reinforcement is midfield, which is slowly becoming a problematic position for United.
United wanted a new midfielder this summer
United were also reportedly keen to strengthen their midfield in the summer and had Brighton & Hove Albion’s Carlos Baleba on their wish list. However, the Red Devils’ approach was rejected by the Seagulls, who were reluctant to let the 21-year-old go.
Amorim ended the transfer window without signing a midfielder, and that decision has affected their performances so far. Although Bruno Fernandes and Casemiro have done very well in the pivotal role, United currently lack strength and athleticism in the middle of the park.
Amorim’s tactics require a combative midfielder, and Casemiro, already on the wrong side at 30, is not a long-term option for the role.
Several emerging midfielders have been linked to Theater of Dreams as possible solutions, including Baleba, Elliot Anderson, Angelo Stiller and Adam Wharton. It now appears that United have already found the perfect candidate for the job.
Baleba wants Old Trafford to move
Speaking of his YouTube Channel told Romano that Baleba is United’s No. 1 target for the summer of 2026.
“I want to end this video with the midfielders, guys, as many of you keep asking me. There is a lot of confusion in the media: who is the dream target for Manchester United in midfield?” Romano said.
“My information, guys, remains that there are several names, and we will discuss them all in the videos these days. But I keep telling you that Man Utd wants Carlos Baleba and Baleba wants to go to Man Utd.”
“The conversation with the player and his agency is very good. In August, Brighton did not want to sell the player. In January it will probably be a difficult deal again because Brighton insists on not selling the player. But for the summer, let’s say before 2026, Man Utd sees Baleba as a priority target.”
“I gave you a video last summer saying that Baleba will remain a target if the deal doesn’t go through now. Man Utd want to push for the deal in 2026 and that remains the case.”
“Man Utd still want Baleba and Baleba is still very interested in a move to Man Utd. So Baleba is a name we should keep high on Man Utd’s midfield shortlist.”
The potential arrival of Baleba could provide the legs in midfield that United are desperately missing at the moment. The Cameroonian’s desire to move to the Theater of Dreams could also help the Red Devils take control of the competition.
Carlos Baleba won possession 6.64 times p90 in the Premier League last season. That is the second highest of any player to have played more than 2,500 minutes, and more than any current Manchester United player.
Would be a revolutionary signing for Manchester United. 😳 pic.twitter.com/mu5eSygnEU
— Statman Dave (@StatmanDave) August 6, 2025
Featured image Mike Hewitt via Getty Images
The Peoples Person has been one of Man United’s most important news sites for over ten years. Follow us on Bluesky: @peoplesperson.bsky.social
#Carlos #Baleba #Cameroonian #midfielder #Uniteds #priority #Man #United #News #Transfer #News #Peoples #Person


